Welcome back, and Happy Mother’s Day! Today, I have a one of my favourite breakfast dishes, Quiche! Why do I enjoy quiche so much you may ask yourself, well…It give me the excuse to eat my favourite pie crust for breakfast. Along with the fact it is absolutely delicious. A perfect Mother’s Day brunch dish if I do say so myself.
For the Filling:
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon of both salt + black pepper
Add ins- You can add any veg you prefer. I suggest sautéing your vegetables first and sticking to these ratios for add ins. ( 1/2 – 1 cup cheese and up to 2 cups vegetables and/or meat add-ins. (Fresh spinach packs down, so you can go heavy on it.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
-1 cup packed fresh spinach- chopped fresh parsley
For the Pie Crust:
1. Follow my Basics Pie Crust Recipe which you can find HERE.
2. Prepare the pie crust as per my basic pie crust recipe. Make sure to follow the instructions and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling it out.
3. Preheat your oven to 375°F In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet, crumble it, and set it aside.In the same skillet, sauté the green bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper until well combined. Set aside.
5. Place your prepared pie crusts into the oven and bake 20-25 mins at 350°F We will be half baking the crust to ensure they are fully cooked in the end.
6. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheddar cheese over the prepared pie crust. Add the cooked and crumbled bacon, sautéed vegetables, and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the filling, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
8. Reduce heat to 350F and place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
9. Avoid over-baking by utilizing a pie crust shield to shield the edges from excessive browning. Alternatively you can foil wrap your crust. Quick good search will explain how.
10. Allow the quiche to cool for 15 minutes. Alternatively, if preferred, you may cool the quiche completely before serving—it's equally delightful at room temperature!