This recipe is for two pie crusts or one double-crust pie
This basic pie recipe is great for so many applications. I use this crust for apple pie, galettes, quiche and my favourite chicken pot pie. The options are endless; once you taste them, you will see why!
- 2 2/3 cups Better Bread Flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup organic butter (frozen and shredded with a cheese grater)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cold water-ice cold!
- Mix flour and salt and chill in the fridge for 25-30 mins
- Add shredded butter to the flour and toss with your hands lightly. Allow the flour to cover the butter completely.
- Mix apple cider vinegar into ice water and slowly add around the sides of your mixing bowl, 1 tbsp at a time. Tossing flour with a fork towards the center of the bowl. Continue the process around the bowl.
- Continue this process until the mixture starts to form larger clusters.
- Once you’ve used all your water, take a handful of flour and gently squeeze to see if it holds together easily without falling apart. If it does, enough liquid has been added. If it breaks apart, add 1 tbsp at a time of ice water.
- Divide flour in half and form two discs, cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a least 1 hour.
When ready to use, preheat the oven to 375 and begin to roll out discs onto a lightly floured surface until you have a thin crust to fit your pie plate. Fill the crust with a filling of your choice and bake for 35 -40 mins or until the pie is golden brown. If the crust browns quicker than the filling bakes, cover the pie with tinfoil until completely baked through. **crusts can be stored for up to 5 days in the fridge or frozen for later use.