This time of year I want everything pumkin, starting with this loaf! This pumpkin bread is naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup and made using my favourite Whole Grain Red Fife Flour. Give it a try for a wholesome spin on your typical pumpkin loaf.
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (melted) or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup of your preferred milk or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice blend (make your own, see below)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3/4 cups of Whole Grain Red Fife (switch to red fife multipurpose for a lighter loaf)
- Optional: 1/2 cup of add-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, or chopped dried fruit
- A pinch of ground cinnamon for sprinkling on top
-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
-1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon of allspice or cloves
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. Using a large bowl, whisk the oil and honey together. Add the eggs and whisk until well combined. If the coconut oil solidifies with cold ingredients, allow the bowl to sit in a warm place or warm it in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
3. Incorporate the pumpkin puree, milk, pumpkin spice, baking soda, vanilla, and salt, whisking until thoroughly blended. Then, switch to a large spoon and gently fold in the flour until just combined. Some lumps are acceptable. Add any optional mix-ins at this point.
4. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it carefully to a cooling rack for an additional 20 minutes before slicing.